"Haiti's first Roman Catholic cardinal has described voodoo as a "big social problem" for his desperately poor country, arguing that the religion offers "magic" but no real solutions to a population deprived of justice and a political voice.
Chibly Langlois, who was made a cardinal by Pope Francis in February, linked Haiti's belief system to its chronic political problems, which he says force poor Haitians – the overwhelming majority of a population of 10 million – to seek supernatural solutions.
"If a person is well educated and has the financial means, they will go to a doctor [instead of the voodoo priest] when they get sick. If that same person went to the court to get justice they would not go to the voodoo priest to get revenge. It's a big problem for the church. And for Haiti," he said."
Click on the link below to read the full article:
"Voodoo won't save Haiti, says cardinal."
Short reading list and online resources on Haitian Vodou
This list is not exhaustive or comprehensive; it is a selected list on the subject with an attempt to introduce our readers to the scholarship on Haitian Vodou, and the nature of Haitian Vodou religion and spirituality. The list is divided in three parts: a) Books, b) on-line articles/essays, c) on-line interviews and radio-conferences. As time permits, we will add more resources to the list.
- Healing in the Homeland: Haitian Vodou Tradition (Lexington Books, 2013) by Margaret Mitchell Armand
- Nan Domi: An Initiate's Journey into Haitian Vodou by Mimerose Beaubrun (City Lights, 2013)
- The Spirits and the Law: Vodou and Power in Haiti Hardcover by Kate Ramsey (University of Chicago Press, 2011)
- Haiti, History, and the Gods (University of California Press, 1998) by Colin Dayan
- Religions et lien social: L' église et l'état moderne en Haiti (Cerf, 2004) by Laennec Hurbon
- Voodoo: Search for the Spirit (Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Publishers, 1995) by Laennec Hurbon
- Voodoo: Truth and Fantasy (Thames and Hudson Ltd, 1995) by Laennec Hurbon
- Dieu dans le Vodou haitien (Maisonneuve & Larose, 2002) by Laennec Hurbon
- Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti (Thames & Hudson, 2004) by Maya Deren
- The Faces of the Gods: Vodou and Roman Catholism in Haiti (The University of North Carolina Press, 1992) by Leslie G. Desmangles
- Mama Lola: A Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn (University of California Press, 1991) by Karen McCarthy Brown
- Vodou Nation: Haitian Art Music and Cultural Nationalism (The University of Chicago Press, 2006) by Michael Largey
- Voodoo in Haiti (Schoken Books, 1972) by Alfred Metraux
- Haiti: Le Vodou au Troisieme Millenaire (CIDIHCA, 2002) by Frantz-Antoine Leconte
- Secrets of Voodoo (City Lights, 1969) by Milo Rigaud
- Crossing the Water and Keeping the Faith (Temple University Press, 2013) by Terry Rey and Alex Stepick
- Our Lady of Class Struggle: The Cult of the Virgin Mary in Haiti (Africa World Press, 1999) by Terry Rey
- Migration and Vodou (University Press of Florida, 2005) by Karen E. Richman
- Religion and Politics in Haiti (Institute for Cross-Cultural Research, 1966) by Harold Courlander and Remy Bastien
- Vodou in Haitian Life and Culture: Invisible Powers (Palgrave Macmillan, 2006) by Patrick Bellegarde-Smith and Claudine Michel
- Haitian Vodou: Spirit, Myth, and Reality (Indian University Press, 2006) by Patrick Bellegarde-Smith and Claudine Michel
- Ainsi parla l'Oncle (1928) (Thus Spoke the Uncle) by Jean Price-Mars
- Vaudou et Névrose (1913) by Justin Chrysostome Dorsainvil (J.C Dorsainvil)
- Une Explication Philologique du Vaudou (1924) by Justin Chrysostome Dorsainvil (J.C Dorsainvil)
- Vaudou et Magie (1937) by Justin Chrysostome Dorsainvil (J.C Dorsainvil)
- Voodoo and Politics in Haiti (Palgrave Macmillan, 1989) by Michel Laguerre
- Vodou Songs in Haitian Creole (Temple University Press, 2011) by
- Medecine and Morality in Haiti: The Contest for Healing Power (Cambridge University Press, 1996) by Paul Browdin
- Vodou, je me souviens: essai (Éditions Dabar, 2009) by Jean Fils-Aimé
- Vaudou 101: une spiritualité moderne sans sorcellerie (Clermont Éditeur, 2013) by Jean Fils-Aimé
- Et si les loas n'étaient pas des diables? Une enquête à la lumière des religions comparées: essai (Éditions Dabar, 2008) by Jean Fils-Aimé
- Les esprits vaudous sont-ils des diables?: Une enquête à la lumière de la science des religions comparées (Editions universitaires europeennes EUE, 2011) by Jean Fils-Aimé
- “The Problem of and Impossibility of Vodou in the Writings of Dantes Bellegarde,” The Journal of Pan African Studies 6:8 (March 2014):1-24.
- “Memory, the Spirit of the Revolution, and Slave Religion: The Representation of the Haitian Revolution in Langston Hughes’s Emperor of Haiti,” Journal of Postcolonial Theory and Theology 4:1 (April 2013): 1-35
- “The Religious Philosophy of Jean Price-Mars”, Journal of Black Studies 43(6) 620–645.
- Defending Vodou in Haiti by Gina Athena Ulysse
- Erasing Memory: The Miseducation of a Cardinal/Saving Vodou from Cardinal Langlois and Internalized Afrophobia by Manbo Asogwe Dòwòti Désir
- The Cardinal is a Big Problem by Yvrose S. Gilles and Dr. Jerry M. Gilles
- Kadinal La Se Yon Gwo Pwoblèm: Yvrose S. Gilles and Dr. Jerry M. Gilles
- "Living Vodou" (Radio interview on Being with Krista Tippett) by Patrick Bellegarde-Smith
- Our Former Guests' Perspectives on Vodou and Living by Nancy Rosenbaum
- Living Vodou [Speaking of Faith® from American Public Media]
- Krista Tippett interviews Claudine Michel on "Real Vodou" (Unedited Interview with Claudine Michel
- Kiskeya, l'île mystérieuse by Max Beauvoir
- VODOU - MAX BEAUVOIR CHEF SUPREME - INTERVIEW PART # 1
- VODOU - MAX BEAUVOIR CHEF SUPREME DU VODOU -PART # 2